Japanese Verbs on Progress Action,
Habitual Action and Occupation
In this lesson you will get to learn an important topic in Japanese verbs, which is て-form + います (te-form + imasu).て-form + います (te-form + imasu) is widely used in many Japanese sentences.
And because it has many functions many people get confused on its applications.
Most of the time you have to read from the actual sentence to understand the context and what does it means.
I will introduce 3 of them in this lesson:
- Progress Action or Motion (~ing)
- Habitual Action
- One's Occupation
1. Progress Action or Motion (~ing)
You have already learned that past tense in Japanese verbs is used for events in the past which has already finished. For example...-
わたしはゆうべテレビをみました。
watashi wa yuube terebi wo mimashita
Meaning: I watched TV last night.
-
わたしはこんばんテレビをみます。
watashi wa konban terebi wo mimasu
Meaning: I am going to watch TV tonight.
So how do you going to describe the action that you are doing now? Yes, I think you should have known by now. Use て-form + います (te-form + imasu).
-
わたしはいまテレビをみています。
watashi wa ima terebi wo mite imasu
Meaning: I am watching TV now.
-
Question: いまなにをしていますか。
ima nani wo shite imasu ka
Meaning: What are you doing now? -
Answer: いまいぬとさんぽしています。
ima inu to sanpo shite imasu
Meaning: I am strolling with my dog now. -
Answer: いまほんをよんでいます。
ima hon wo yonde imasu
Meaning: I am reading a book now. -
Answer: いまえをかいています。
ima e wo kaite imasu
Meaning: I am drawing a picture now.
2. Habitual Action in Japanese Verbs
Habitual action is used to describe the same action which is repeatedly performed over a period of time. And the action is still continuing.The Japanese verb sentences which associated with habitual action always include words like まいあさ (maiasa - every morning), まいばん (maiban - every night), まいにち (mainichi - everyday), いつも (itsumo - always), etc. For example,
-
わたしは まいにち にほんごをべんきょうしています。
watashi wa mainichi nihongo wo benkyoushite imasu
Meaning: I am studying Japanese every day.
-
わたしは いま にほんごをべんきょうしています。
watashi wa ima nihongo wo benkyoushite imasu
Meaning: I am studying Japanese now.
3. One's Occupation
One of the functions of te-form + imasu is to describe one's occupation. You can use any of the following when you want to talk about somebody's occupation...
Profession を しています - (I am Profession)
Place で はたらいています - (work at/in)
Place(Company's name) に つとめています - (work for)
In "Profession を しています", you can replace "Profession" with the type of
occupation you want to talk about. You use this Japanese verb sentence
structure to describe somebody is working as some profession. For
example...
Place で はたらいています - (work at/in)
Place(Company's name) に つとめています - (work for)
-
たなかさんはいしゃをしています。
tanaka san wa isha wo shite imasu
Meaning: Mr Tanaka is working as a doctor. -
やまださんはせんせいをしています。
yamada san wa sensei wo shite imasu
Meaning: Mr Yamada is working as a teacher. -
きむらさんはけいさつかんをしています。
kimura san wa keisatsukan wo shite imasu
Meaning: Mr Kimura is working as a Policeman.
-
たなかさんはびょういん で はたらいています。
tanaka san wa byouin de hataraite imasu
Meaning: Mr Tanaka is working at the hospital. -
やまださんは ABC がっこう で はたらいています。
yamada san wa ABC gakkou de hataraite imasu
Meaning: Mr Yamada is working at ABC school. -
きむらさんはアメリカ で はたらいています。
kimura san wa amerika de hataraite imasu
Meaning: Mr Yamada is working in America.
-
たなかさんは XYZ びょういん に つとめています。
tanaka san wa XYZ byouin ni tsutomete imasu
Meaning: Mr Tanaka is working for XYZ hospital. -
いとうさんは Citibank に つとめています。
itou san wa Citibank ni tsutomete imasu
Meaning: Ms Itou is working for Citibank. -
さとうさんは Toyota に つとめています。
satou san wa Toyota ni tsutomete imasu
Meaning: Mr Satou is working for Toyota.
There are 2 Japanese verbs, いる (iru) and ある (aru), which cannot have te-form + imasu. Therefore there is no いています (ite imasu) and あっています (atte imasu).
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar